Friday, June 18, 2010

The Arctic is lovely, really.

It's been a long coupla days, but I've finally arrived WELL north of the Arctic Circle in Tromso, NO (Lat. 69). The sun hasn't gone down here for several weeks, and I won't see a sunset for the next 7 weeks.


That's a picture from the airport. I didn't take it, cause I was a bit overwhelmed with all the everything, but it seriously looks just like that. The runway starts and ends right at the water's edge. It's my new favorite airport.

The town is overrun with the excessively fit, as the Midnight Sun Marathon is tomorrow; so I've found a place for myself at a lovely campground just outside town.


That's my OR tarp pitched next to a babbling Norwegian brook. There are several Exped tents here as well, for those who care about such things (Mark).

Anyway, this first post is a bit of a rambler; next time I'll try to be more coherent AND have better pictures.

BTW, I'm composing this while sitting at a cafe in town drinking a local pilsener. It's quite nice; apparently the night life in this town doesn't really get going til well after midnight, and doesn't stop til after breakfast. That's what 24hr daylight gets you, I guess. I plan to be snug in my sleeping bag well before midnight.

Later,

Jack


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your surrounded by quality tents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have eye shades.......... We'll be enthusiastically following your blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete